Sunday, September 29, 2013

Dave's first blog post (Sorry! It's a long one!)

Every adventure has a beginning.  A salient moment or event, that sets the tone for the events to come.  For me, it was my first trip to Oregon. 
Heidi was offered her dream job at a university in the Pacific Northwest and we were both very excited. For me, of course, the move would be a considerable sacrifice.  A noble and selfless act on my part, I thought to myself, as I packed the skis. The snowshoes. The bikes. The hiking gear. The kayaking gear. The camping gear.  And the pile of outdoor guidebooks that I had started collecting almost from the moment I heard we were moving there.  What a modern husband wouldn’t do to support his wife’s career!
It all happened very quickly.  She had two weeks to accept the job, but I could not take time off of work to see Oregon before she would have to accept or reject it.   She accepted it, of course.  While thrilled about the upcoming move, Oregon still remained a mystery to me.  Not having ever seen it, I had no image that I could use to start imagining what our life would be like.  It was a complete blank. 
My first time to Oregon was for an interview.  A flight to San Francisco with a connection to Eugene.  But with the infamous San Francisco fog, and an Asiana Airlines jet still sitting on the runway, things did not go so smoothly.
This is where the adventure began.  We left on a Thursday.  My interview day was Friday.  I was to meet and interview with 7 different people before lunch, lunch with my potential colleagues, then interview with 3 people after lunch.  Afterwards a tour with a real estate agent, and then dinner in the evening.  Quite a schedule!  Shouldn’t be a problem.  Our flight would get us into town in the afternoon.  Plenty of time to relax, prepare for the interview and get a good night’s sleep.   Or so we thought.
Between the fog and the runway being down, we made it to San Francisco very late, and all but one of the connecting flights to Eugene were cancelled, except the 5PM which was to leave at 9PM, if at all..
Taking the train turned out not to be an option.  We had two choices:  Either cancel the interview and reschedule (not even sure that was a real possibility), or drive.  Theoretically, it is an eight hour drive from San Francisco.  That would get us to the hotel at around 1 AM.  No problem.  As a physician, I have worked long shifts with little sleep and functioned well.  I could even get 6  hours of sleep before the interview.  Piece of cake! 
I had envisioned a mad caffeine-fueled dash through the night, kind of a middle-aged Hunter Thompson-esque journey.  We gathered the luggage, got the rental car, and drove out of the airport at 5 PM, straight into rush hour traffic. At 7 PM, we finally cleared San Francisco and stopped for dinner.  No problem.  We could still get there by 3 AM.  4 hours of sleep would be plenty.  More than I ever got on call! 
I slept for an hour and a half while Heidi drove, and then took over the driving.  Around midnight, Heidi cried uncle.  We would have to stop and get some sleep.  My wife is one of those odd people who eats well, exercises, and gets a full night’s sleep every night. She is, in other words, sane.  We decided to stop for a nap.  We pulled off the highway and found a gas station that had a large dirt lot next to it filled with large trucks.  We drove down to the end of the row of trucks, and slept.  Our first night in our new home state.  We woke up around 3AM and started again.  We made it to the hotel at 7:30 sharp. A representative from the hospital was going to meet me at 8:45 in the lobby.  I jumped into the shower while Heidi called room service for breakfast.  I made it to the lobby with two minutes to spare with my clothes ironed, beard trimmed, fully caffeinated, and looking respectable (which is a feat even on a good day!)  I managed to keep myself pleasant and professional throughout the day.  The caffeine started to wear off around mid-morning.  By noon I was offered the job, which was great!  But by that time, I was struggling to stay focused.  Human resources went over a lot of numbers that refused to sink in.  We met with a real estate agent and I fell asleep in the car while being driven around the town with Heidi.  We made it back to the hotel by 4:30, got an hour of sleep, and awoke to get ready for the dinner with future colleagues.  By that time, word had started to get around about our driving all night to get there.  None of my interviewers had realized that I hadn’t slept.  They were impressed with my stamina. 
It may not be the kind of story that legends are made of, but it’s a great way to start a new narrative.  A funny twist on a new beginning. 

1 comment:

  1. October's almost over and no post yet wondering how y'all are doing and it looks like you both are having an amazing time out there I look forward to reading more about your adventures and endeavors in Eugene

    ReplyDelete